Hey Wonderful SugarDoodlers!
My name’s Alex Balinski. Melanie’s been super nice to provide me this opportunity to tell you a little bit about a free family history service I recently started called Lifey.
Here’s a run down of everything you should know about Lifey.
What Is A “Lifey”?
So, to start off, let me define what a Lifey is. A Lifey is like a selfie about your life. It’s your life story in video format. It’s like a browsable, shareable video journal that you can embed anywhere online. I personally believe Lifeys are the best way to share your life story.
Currently there are two types of Lifeys we can create for you (they’re both free): Individual Lifeys and Family Lifeys.
Individual Lifey Example
Below is one of the dozens of free individual Lifeys we’ve created. You can see Clint’s Lifey is broken up into seven sections: Childhood, Aviation, Mission, UVU, Career, Family and Other. Under each section there are specific stories/insights that Clint decided to share from his life.
Individual Lifeys are easy to prepare for and to record. They usually take 1-3 hours to record, though we’ve had some individuals create Lifeys that are 4+ hours long. The beauty of creating a Lifey, is that it’s free (it’d normally cost hundreds to thousands of dollars to pay someone to create a similar video autobiography), it’s long form (1-7 hours long) and it’s browsable (viewers can jump to whichever story/topic interests them).
Family Lifey Example
Below is an example of a family Lifey. Family Lifeys only take about an hour to record (depending on how many people are in your family).
Instead of a one-time comprehensive Lifey about someone’s life, a family Lifey is more like an ongoing family video journal where once a year you can take your family on a date to the studio and each take 5-10 minutes in front of the camera to share highlights from the previous year.
How Lifey Got Started
The story of how Lifey started goes back to the summer of 2006. I was attending my first term at Brigham Young University and I felt strongly like I should look into Broadcast Journalism. I attended BYU for two years, served a two-year mission in Argentina, and then finished my Bachelor’s degree at BYU. While studying journalism I felt impressed to create the Prepare to Serve project where we video interview returned missionaries about their missions, etc.
Then about one year ago I felt inspired to shift my focus to working on Lifey.
Why Record A Lifey?
I believe there is huge value in opening up, and sharing our ideas with each other. I believe every person has experiences and insights that they can share, that can be helpful to others.
Hands down the most prized family history possession I have is my Mother’s Lifey. I’m so grateful that we took a few hours to record my Mom’s Lifey. For many years to come my Mother will still be able to influence, and teach my children values, principles and testimony from her life experiences, because we recorded her Lifey. While reading a journal is good, nothing quite beats hearing and seeing my Mother share her stories in her own words. When I watch my Mom’s Lifey, it feels like she’s having a heart-to-heart conversation with me.
More Info About Lifey
- We currently offer free video life histories at our office in Provo, Utah (if you live outside of Utah, and would like me to consider traveling to your state to offer free Lifeys in your state for a few days, please email me at email@example.com).
- Our service is completely free (you can leave a donation if you’d like).
- A Lifey typically takes 2-4 hours to record, though we’ve had some Lifeys last longer.
- Lifeys are recorded in front of a green screen (which works great, as long as you don’t wear a green top).
- Lifeys are self-directed. When you come in, I’ll welcome you to the studio and get the camera, microphone and lights all working, and then I’ll press record, shut the door, and let you share however much you’d like to share from your life.
- We encourage people to let their Lifeys be public, so their stories and insights are easily accessible for family and friends.
- Lifeys are recorded in 4K.
- Lifeys can be organized into however many stories/topics as you’d like (we once had an older gentleman come in and share 99 different stories/insights from his life).
- Lifeys can also be used to organize any other YouTube videos (home videos, etc.)
If You’re Interested…
If you’d like me to create a Lifey for you or a loved one, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to learn more about the Lifey project, you might enjoy watching the videos on the Lifey About page.
I hope you have a wonderful summer! The Gospel’s true!